1. Onions: A favorite cool-season vegetable that can be enjoyed cooked or raw. Onions are easy to grow, especially if you grow them from sets.
2. Radishes: A favorite for kids as they grow so quickly. There are so many varieties and colors like purple, pink, red and white.
3. Lettuces: Another fast grower, lettuces are so good for you. The darker the color, the healthier they are.
4. Spinach: Ok, we all know it has lots of iron but even more Vitamin A and C.
5. Cress: Delicious on sandwiches and salads, this peppery herb can be ready for harvest in as few as two weeks!
6. Carrots: Carrot seeds are so tiny. It is easier to broadcast them and thin them when they are about two inches tall.
7. Peas: This year I am growing Dwarf Grey Sugars because you can eat the pod and all. There a so many delicious peas to choose from. A great vegetable for the small garden because you can grow them on a trellis.
8. Oregano: This beauty comes in several varieties with the Greek being the most pungent. Great for cooking and also has medicinal uses.
9. Chives: Chives are great because once you plant them from seed you never have to do it again. They grow profusely and can be divided and moved to other parts of the garden as needed…plus, they’re so delicious on eggs, potatoes, in rice and soups.
10. Tarragon: There is nothing quite like the sweet smell and taste of tarragon. It is one of my favorite herbs. It is great in sauces and stews and can be delightful in less expected dishes like lemon pound cake!